Pioneer car stereos are a popular choice for car owners. The company has been in the business for over 80 years with various products, including car stereos, speakers, aftermarket amplifiers, and more.
But, are Pioneer car stereos good apart from the long company history? Let’s find out.
Pioneer car stereos have impressive features that make them a good choice for many people. They combine excellent sound quality, advanced music streaming, and have a leek design to please any driver. Pioneer stereos are a hallmark of good sound and engineering.
As an Amazon Associate, ImproveCarAudio will receive a small commission from qualifying purchases made through the links in this article.
Tip: Pioneer car stereos have attractive features and a reasonable price. This brand has car stereos ranging from 80$ to 1500$, which means they have stereos that satisfy a high-end customer looking for a great sound experience and someone cautious about the budget.
In addition, Pioneer does an excellent job creating a user-friendly interface in their car stereos, so if you love cool features, you should install Pioneer.
Especially worth considering is the DMH-WT8600NEX with its enormous 10.1″ capacitive screen.
In this article, I will do a detailed review of pioneer stereos, including their features, and compare them with other top brands.
Is Pioneer a Good Brand for Car Audio?
Pioneer is one of the most reputable car audio brands in the industry. Its stereos have been featured in many popular movies and music videos. But, despite its popularity, the question of whether Pioneer is a good brand comes up.
Since 1937, Pioneer has been committed to developing high-level audio technology. Starting from building speakers in the garage, this brand has expanded worldwide, offering a wide variety of audio equipment for cars.
Let’s look closer at the history of the brand.
Pioneer is a Japanese brand with headquarters in Tokyo. In 1937, Nozomu Matsumoto, the founder of Pioneer, built the first A8 dynamic speaker.
Pioneer introduced the first separate stereo system in 1962, and in 1990, presented the world’s first CD-based car navigation system.
For many years, Pioneer has been respected for its advanced technology and groundbreaking innovations.
Some of the excellent pioneer car audio products include – car speakers, subwoofers, stereos, DVD receivers, CD receivers, digital media receivers, GPS navigation systems, and car amplifiers, to name a few.
What Are the Features of Pioneer Stereos?
Pioneer car stereos are some of the best car stereos brands available in the market. They have a wide range of audio/visual receivers and in-dash CD players, making your car an entertainment center.
Pioneer stereos are specially designed to make your car more enjoyable. They have standard features like Bluetooth, high-quality audio, mobile connectivity, in-car navigation, radio, etc.
To give you an idea about the features of the pioneer stereo, let’s look at Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX digital multimedia receiver, which is my favorite car radio ever made.
If you want a single din car stereo with the ultimate big touchscreen, then this product is for you, and below I listed a few of its key features:
- It is a single din in-dash car stereo that connects to a 10.1 inch slim HD touchscreen display with many adjustment options. You can adjust the screen to the left, right, backward, and forward as per your requirements.
- Android Auto – It allows the integration of the android device with stereo, and you can access google maps, music, weather, phone, text, or other apps on voice assistance.
- With Apple CarPlay, play your favorite music, take phone calls, messages, or access third-party apps on the car stereo screen.
- Supports Amazon Alexa – Ask Alexa to play your favorite song, check the weather, control home devices, etc.
- Supports MP3, WMA, AAC, and high-resolution FLAC & DSD music files.
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calling and wireless streaming of youtube, podcasts, audiobooks, etc., from your device to stereo.
- It also has a USB port and AUX connectivity port.
- This multimedia receiver has a 13 band equalizer and other audio tools that increase the signal’s strength.
- It has a Built-In MOSFET amplifier with three pairs of preamp outputs for connecting audio drivers. You can choose to connect drivers in 2 way standard mode (front, rear, and sub) or 3-way network mode (high, mid, and subwoofer).
- It has two front and rear camera inputs with selectable parking lines for rearview. This helps you in safe driving in crowded areas.
- Built-in radio that allows you to listen to your favorite radio stations.
- Compatible with the iDataLink Maestro module and also comes with remote control.
If you compare the same stereo with the Kenwood Excelon Reference DMX1057XR, which has the same features, the Kenwood stereo will cost more.
The above-listed features can give you an idea about what you will be getting in a pioneer stereo.
Well, you may be thinking that I don’t need all of these features, and why not look for more affordable stereos.
The good news is that the Pioneer has stereos that suit every budget. Below, I will show you my other best picks of different Pioneer multimedia stereos.
Are Pioneer Car Stereos Reliable?
Pioneer is a well-known brand in the car stereo industry. When it comes to the reliability of a car stereo, it should perform its function for a specified time without failure.
From my experience, and I have been using different Pioneer radios for over 30 years, I never had a single issue with the quality.
Pioneer stereos are reliable, and you can find these stereos in some of the most expensive cars on earth. These stereos are durable, capable of withstanding extreme conditions, and have strong sound quality.
Pioneer has been making high-quality audio equipment for decades. When it comes to sound systems, their products have consistently been considered top of the line in terms of performance, durability, and value for money.
In the past few years, Pioneer has released several stereos that got great reviews from car audio enthusiasts. Moreover, these stereos are easy to install, and you don’t need any professional help.
Pioneer has done great work in making instructional videos on youtube so that you can install stereos on your own.
What Are the Top Pioneer Stereos?
A car’s stereo system is the most important piece in its audio system. Pioneer offers a variety of car stereo systems and accessories, which is why they are an industry leader.
Although my absolute number one from Pioneer mentioned earlier is the Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX, there are also other types worth considering, depending on your budget and needs.
- Pioneer DMH-W4660 NEX – double din mechless digital media receiver
- Pioneer AVH-3500 NEX – single din DVD Player with a foldable screen
- Pioneer DEH-S6220 BS – single din CD player
- Pioneer DEH-X8800 BHS – single din CD player with Bluetooth, HD radio, and SiriusXM.
Apart from these stereos, pioneers have many models to choose from. They have in-dash CD, DVD players, infotainment screen stereos in both single and double din categories, and below are more details about each of my top picks:
Best Pioneer Single Din Car Stereos
Pioneer’s single din stereos are designed for a great listening experience. The stereo allows users to enjoy their music via Bluetooth, auxiliary, or USB input.
Pioneer also offers installation services for those who want to upgrade their car stereo system.
Pioneer AVH-3500 NEX DVD receiver
This is a 7-inch touchscreen single din car stereo that you can install within a standard 2-inch dash opening. Here are the unique features of this DVD receiver:
- Integrate your smartphone using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The WebLink technology makes it easier to connect your phone over USB, and you can play youtube and other third-party apps.
- You can customize a user-friendly interface and can according to your needs.
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity with your smartphone or any other device.
- Pandora and Spotify control.
- Play DVDs, also have special input for the rear camera.
This stereo supports Pioneer’s Smart Sync app. Using this app, you can connect your smartphone to this stereo and enjoy the many advantages that a touch screen stereo can offer.
Here are some of the remarkable features of this product:
- Connect your iPhone or Android device using the USB input provided at the front panel, play songs, and control your playlist. This stereo also supports music streaming apps like Pandora or Spotify.
- Choose colors that match your dashboard and customize them.
- This stereo can be connected to two phones all together so that you can stream music and attend calls at the same time.
- AM/FM tuner with CD receiver.
- 13 band equalizer with MOSFET amplifier that enhances the sound signal to the speakers.
Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS CD receiver offers you something that other CD receivers do not provide, like two USB points – one at the front and the other at the back.
It may seem like a small thing but consider the possibility of the connections. For example, you can plug your iPad and play music on one port, and on the other USB port, you can charge your smartphone.
Here are the other features of this car stereo:
- Built-in Bluetooth for connecting two devices at the same time wirelessly.
- It supports the Apple Siri voice control feature, so ask Siri to play songs, hear text messages, notifications and even use maps to get directions.
- Connect with apps like Spotify and pandora, 13 band EQ, built-in MOSFET amp, and add light to your dashboard while listening to your music.
- HD radio tuner to receive a signal from the best quality radio stations
Best Pioneer Double Din Car Stereos
The Pioneer double din car stereos are known for their easy-to-use interface and with the most control options at an affordable price range.
Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is a 6.8-inch touchscreen mechless car stereo with unique features that makes this stereo worth purchasing.
- Smartphone integration using Apple Carplay, Amazon Alexa, and Android Auto. You can use voice control to access features of your smartphone like Google Maps, play your favorite music or see the weather, news updates, and access third-party apps.
- This multimedia stereo also offers a screen mirroring feature when your phone is wired to it.
- Sports Wireless Bluetooth connection with your smartphone.
- It has a built-in HD AM/FM tuner.
- This double Din car stereo contains a 4 channel amplifier and much more.
Pioneer AVIC-W6600NEX DVD/CD is a combination of convenience and speed. This 6.2-inch touchscreen Pioneer stereo is mainly designed for GPS navigation and gives you traffic updates in metropolitan cities.
It also provides warnings for speed limits along with lane guidance. Here are some of the remarkable features of this product:
- Apple car play allows you to connect your iPhone with the stereo, and to connect with the Android devices, you need to install the Pioneer WebLink app. This receiver also works with Amazon Alexa.
- Wireless screen mirroring with Android devices. This feature is not universal, but it works with most android mobile phones.
- It also supports Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
- Play USB, CD, and DVD along with HD AM/FM radio.
- High and low pass filter to adjust crossovers in network mode.
Is Pioneer Better Than Kenwood?
Pioneer and Kenwood are the two most renowned car audio brands available in the market.
If you are in the car audio business, then the probability is you have listened to their names more often. As both brands are at the top of the league, a question that comes to our mind is which is better: Pioneer or Kenwood.
If you look at different models of these brands, you will note that Pioneer is more focused on budget-friendly stereos, whereas Kenwood focuses on more advanced features.
So, if your main concern is budget, good quality sound, you should go with Pioneer stereos.
The Pioneer stereos are designed for average customers, so if you are looking for moderate features and affordable stereos, then Pioneer is the brand for you.
However, if you want advanced features and enhanced sound quality, you should go for Kenwood.
For example, the single din Pioneer stereo in the DEH series comes with 5 band equalizer and is affordable. In contrast, the Kenwood KMM-X503, with the same features but with a 13 band equalizer, is costly.
So, if you don’t want any extra features, go for Pioneer stereos.
Both of these brands offer good-quality stereos, and in double din radios, it’s even harder to find differences between these brands.
However, in some Kenwood stereos, you will find three camera inputs which is an extra feature.
Pioneer stereos are universal and can easily be integrated with other brands’ audio accessories. They also have more user-friendly designs as compared to Kenwood.
Is Pioneer Better Than Alpine?
In the past decades, Pioneer and Alpine have become names and are considered among the best brands in the market.
This has been attributed to their highly innovative products with a high level of quality.
Pioneers offer head units with intuitive, easy-to-use navigation with good connectivity features. Due to these benefits, Pioneer shows a slight advantage over Alpine. However, if you want more advanced audio controls and superb sound quality, then Alpine stereos will suit you better, especially models like Alpine iLX-F411.
Let’s look at each brand on different factors:
Pioneer stereos always have the upper hand when it comes to convenience. So, for example, you can go for complete wireless connectivity when using Pandora, Spotify, etc.
On the other hand, in alpine stereos, you have to wire your phone to stereo when using these apps on your infotainment screen.
Pioneer has done a brilliant job in creating user-friendly interfaces in their stereos. It is clean, organized and even a child can use it with ease.
Alpine stereos have a very technical interface and may confuse some users. However, both units have exceptional performance when it comes to the responsiveness of head units.
Sound Quality Control
In Alpine, you will get more sound quality enhancements features. Their Alpine Tune app gives you lots of options to customize the sound output of the head unit to the level exactly as you want.
This does not mean that Pioneer offers bad-quality sound output. Pioneer stereos have clean-sounding audio and are more traditional.
In the last few decades, Pioneer car stereos have been the go-to choice for many audiophiles who want to enjoy their favorite music. They come in various shapes and sizes, meaning that people can find a stereo that will fit their needs and car.
The Pioneer car stereos are good because they offer excellent performance, reliability, and what is most important for many of us, affordability.